Saturday, September 10, 2011

Jittery Cook Dinner for Two

As my memory fails me I realize that I can make a recipe or a meal, find it wonderful, and then completely forget what I had so enjoyed.  It becomes frustrating as I often wonder what to cook and rely too heavily on same old, same old.  So here goes.  This blog will serve to remind me.  It will also serve to inform those that care of what I'm cooking and how good it tastes.  I plan to focus on the successful recipes and meals.  This is meant to be a reminder of what to repeat.

I bought a piece of Pacific Cod this morning.  I wanted to use some organic Soya and Oats Massawippi Miso that I bought at the health food store, A Votre Sante on Sherbrooke St. in the preparation.  Googling miso marinade for cod yielded several interesting recipes, all requiring hours of marinating. The inside label on the Massawippi Miso was for a pasta sauce that I figured would make a good fish topping.  I made a few changes, substituting olive oil for hazelnut butter, cod fish for pasta, and this was the happy result:

2 T Massawippi oats miso
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 T hot water
2 tomatoes diced
2 T fresh ginger, finely chopped

The ingredients were mixed one by one then meant to be served cold to preserve enzymes and probiotics, but I couldn't resist coating the fish for the last few minutes of cooking.  Before convection roasting the fish for 13 minutes at 420 degrees it was coated with 2 t of olive oil, 1minced clove of garlic and some freshly ground pepper.

The sauce was finger licking good and tasted yummy coating the quinoa as well.  Did I mention my sense of relief that the recipe turned out?  Yep, jittery cook.


Setting the Scene

Coming tomorrow....Wrap roll appetizers for the Giants vs. Redskins game...common but yummy, I hope.

Thanks to Harriet Sugar Miller, for insisting that I buy really good quality healthy miso.  Check out Harriets's super informative blog - Glowing Older or her new blog Eat and Beat Cancer.
Thanks to Massawippi Miso for providing a great recipe.
Thanks to my hubby for being my guinea pig.  That takes guts.
Thanks to Sonia Ribaux for inspiring me with her beautiful photography blog.  
hb

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging Holly. I have tried the Massawippi Miso products and enjoyed all the flavors. That wonderful photo of your kitchen brings back a nice memory. Thanks for nourishing me.
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea for a blog. I often make good improvised meals but, like you, I tend to forget about it and I end up making the same boring food. I've started writing down my improvised recipes in a kitchen notebook. This helps...if I remember to write it down.
    I am badly in need of creative help in the kitchen and I look forward to trying out your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jittery Cook,
    How would you suggest making a crust for fish without using breadcrumbs and the like? Coconut flakes? Quinoa flakes? I tried those but they came out soggy. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing makes me more jittery than being asked a hard cooking question. So, I'll throw that back out into the blogosphere...Jitter-bugs? Any good suggestions?

    ReplyDelete